Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Easter Egg Enigma

What a strange Easter weekend!

My wife's mother in Ohio has been ill off-and-on for some time, and she suddenly took a turn for the worse on the day before Holy Thursday. So, Donna needed to head home, just in case. (ever try to find a cheap flight 8 hours before you need it? There goes my Tab Funkenwerk preamp!)
So as I was recording some things for KBGG in Des Moines, she called me later on Thursday to say that she wanted to hang around until the Tuesday or Wednesday after Easter.

I'm not sure if you've ever had the experience of being away from family during a Holiday, but it's a sometimes-surreal event. It had been quite awhile since I "missed" a Holiday with family. I believe the last time was during my seminary days. But "radio", and the hop-scotch, bouncing from-market-to-market mentality that can sometimes be associated with it (I've done my share!) puts a different, sometimes twisted, take on the Holiday experience. But even in my radio travels, I've had the advantage of cushioning the blow by having my wife with me, as well as, perhaps, a few acquaintances/friends from the radio station. (especially true during our time in Knoxville...our radio station compadres were invaluable during Holidays!)

However, we came to this area for different reasons. My wife works with, and for, her son. But, her son and family were in Florida for the Easter weekend, and now D was on the big bird headed towards BuckeyeLand. All of this, combined with the fact that there really aren't any "friends" as of yet in the area, made for a contemplative, bizarre, slightly disconcerting weekend.

Matt, the dog (Maggie May), the cat (Ruby Tuesday), Charter On-Demand, several bottles of Bear Republic "Hop Rod Rye Ale", and a few Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs. Now, THAT'S a Holiday weekend!

Oh, and check out me and Maggie on the big screen! Cinema St. Louis and the Animal Protective Association of Missouri are sponsoring a short film festival. What does a guy who does digital editing for a living do when he gest tired of the "audio" portion of Sony Vegas? Why, he tries to utilize the "video" portion of Sony Vegas! Check us out:



Was Maggie making a general statement about her SEC preferences? Was she merely expressing displeasure at the collegiate atmosphere in general? Or, by reacting the way she did, was she invoking a higher calling that seems innately prevalent in all of us? Only the true film and art-house pundits will know for sure. You be the judge.

See what happens when you have too much weekend time on your hands...or have ingested too many of those Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs?

-30-

* Why not grab your favorite beverage, cop a squat, and groove to some DEMOS at www.mattmultimedia.com












No comments: