Sunday, March 30, 2008

Look ma....no voice!

So, let's say you draw....cartoons for a living. You have several newspapers or periodicals who use your work on a fairly regular basis throughout the week. You're expected to deliver every couple of days (or in some cases, every day) You awaken on a...Tuesday, for instance. And you can't move your hand. Perhaps you slept on it in an awkward position, or maybe your ever-increasing arthritis has decided to muster warp-speed. Regardless the reason, you can't comb your hair, much less produce a drawing for that day.

What do you do?

That's how I feel, several times a year. It could be a head-cold, allergies, some weird phenomenon affecting my asthma....or whatever. Regardless of the reason, the 'chords just ain't workin! Now what!?

Now THAT is frustration! Nothing pains me more than not being able to speak. (my wife has an alternate opinion on that, I'm sure) It doesn't seem to matter how many times I clear my throat or how many cups of "Throat Coat" tea I make, the upcoming White Stripes concert ticket giveaway lines that were sent to me are just NOT going to come out of this throat today! Then, the painful note to clients declaring the bad news has to get written.

There's no rhyme or reason to it. Like you, perhaps, I sometimes feel it coming on. It starts as a small "burning sensation". It could take a day to materialize, or it could take several. There's just no way to know for sure when it's going to hit.

It happened Thursday. I knew from the moment I woke up that something wasn't quite right. But, like the cartoonist with severe arthritis flare-up, I hoped and prayed that it was temporary thing that would vacate the premises by 10:00 or so. But that's not what happened. What CAN you do!? I've even gone as far as to re-trace old audio files in an attempt to "piece-meal" together some semblance of a promo. But that generally doesn't work, in most cases.

Thank G-d for the weekend! The old snout feels like it has a mitten on the end of it, so I'm downing Nyquil, Tylenol, Sudafed....hell, anything I can get my hands on. I'm sure my wife is fatigued at hearing me scream, "Do we have ANYTHING else in this cabinet that I can take?"

I thought I read something in the New England Journal of Medicine about a correlation between the elimination of the common cold and single-malt scotch, so I'm off to the "medicine cabinet" again. It doesn't say whether it should be islay or speyside. (you Scotch-devotees will understand) Better try both.

-30-

* Why not grab your favorite beverage, cop a squat, and groove to some DEMOS at www.mattmultimedia.com

No comments: